Monday, July 27, 2009

Kelly Clarkson: It "Sucks" People Think I "Ripped Off" Beyonce

Brad Barket/Getty Images; Frank Micelotta/Getty Images

Kelly Clarkson is singing the blues over her latest single "Almost Gone" because it sounds too similar toBeyonce's hit "Halo."

In a weekend interview with Canada's CBC radio network, Clarkson reveals that she had been battling behind the scenes to keep the song -- which she co-wrote with songwriter Ryan Tedder -- from being released after she realized it resembled Beyonce's "Halo," another Tedder tune.

Only when her new album All I Ever Wanted was ready to be shipped did she hear "Halo" and know that the same backing track was used, she claims.

Outraged, Clarkson says she confronted her co-writer on the phone, "I don't understand. Why would you do that?

"No one's gonna be sittin' at home, thinking 'Man, Ryan Tedder gave Beyonce and Kelly the same track to write to,'" she recalls saying. "No, they're just gonna be saying I ripped someone off."

"I fought and fought" to stop it, she says, but "in the end, they're releasing it without my consent."


No comments:

Post a Comment