Friday, August 28, 2009

McCartney Says Lennon's Remarks About Beatles Were Fueled by Drugs


Paul McCartney has dismissed John Lennon's criticisms of the Beatles, including those included in a recent Rolling Stone article called 'Why The Beatles Broke Up.' Sir Paul attributes Lennon's negative sentiments, especially the ones made during a December 1970 interview with magazine founder Jann Wenner, to "drugs" and talking "crap" that he did not mean.

During the interview, Lennon said he felt "sick" over selling out as a band and was "fed up" playing sidekick to Paul McCartney, saying that feeling was mutual for Ringo Starr and George Harrison. He also reveals he was upset with how the other Beatles treated his wife, Yoko Ono.

"They despised her," Lennon said. "It seemed I had to be happily married to them or Yoko, and I chose Yoko ... George insulted her right to her face and I didn't hit him, I don't know why. Ringo was alright but the other two really gave it to us. I'll never forgive 'em."

Speaking about Lennon's complaints after the band's 1970 split to Radio Times, McCartney now says, "Oh, he was on drugs, wasn't he? This is the trouble with history, with journalism."

"Whatever bad things John said about me," Macca added, "he would also slip his glasses down to the end of his nose and say, 'I love you.' John said so much crap that he later said he hadn't meant. It's bulls--- ... We were there. We all enjoyed it. I never really criticized John. I'm not that critical. It's a question of personalities."

No comments:

Post a Comment