Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Treason! Fellow Jersey Boy Apologizes to Braff for Suicide Hoax

It started with a headline -- "Beloved Scrubsactor found dead in his home" -- and adoctored CNN article page circulated on Twitter that said the star, Zach Braff, was discovered with an "empty pill bottle" by his side. Fans clamored for more information, but soon it became clear: another celebrity suicide hoax.

Braff, 34, came forward on Monday to dispute the story in a video on hisFacebook page, proclaiming "I'm alive!" and slamming the author of the article for "making my mom upset." Before long, he got an apology.



"There was a big Internet rumor today that I was dead ... that I OD'd on some pills. It's not the case, I'm here at 'Scrubs' shooting the new 'Scrubs' title sequence, which is a little bit like dying, so I guess that was semi-accurate."

"A couple of inaccuracies you should have noticed when you saw the thing, if you believed it -- the dude said I was found in my 32,000 square foot estate in Beverly Hills - but I'm not Oprah! That's a big house!"

The 'Garden State' star then singled out whomever pulled the stunt: "I just want to say to the douchebag who started this: You win my first ever douche of the day award for making my mom upset!"

The lucky recipient of Braff's award was fellow New Jersey native Chris Laganella, who posted an apology to the actor on his Web site.

Laganella says he made the Onion-esque spoof back in 2007 and never intended for it be made public. "I'm sorry if I scared everyone," he writes.

He continues: "Zach, sorry if you got offended by me posting a fake suicide about you on the Internet. Your 32,000 square foot house would be pretty empty without you. Thanks for (apparently) taking it lightly, since I haven't gotten a letter about a lawsuit yet. Just so you know, I'm a huge fan; that's the only reason I made this page, believe it or not. Also, sorry for upsetting your mother :("

No comments:

Post a Comment