Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"We are the world" - Remake - Should it have ever been redone?



A remake of Michael Jackson's 'We Are the World' to benefit Haiti has Jay-Z a little upset. And I have to admit that while I'm not as publicly outraged I do believe that to remake the song takes away something from the charm of the original. I think that we should stop remaking things and create some original new music that can in itself last through the years as the original "We Are The World" song has.

As for Jay - Z he says "I have a interesting take on that," he tells MTV News. "I know everybody is gonna take this wrong: 'We Are the World,' I love it, and I understand the point and think it's great. But I think 'We Are the World' is like [Michael Jackson's] 'Thriller' to me. I don't ever wanna see it touched."

"I'm a fan of music. I know the plight and everything that's going on in Haiti. I applaud the efforts: [Millions have been raised] through text [donations] to Haiti. So I appreciate the efforts and everything, but 'We are the World' is [musically] untouchable like 'Thriller' is untouchable. Some things are just untouchable. It was a valiant effort, but for me, it's gonna be untouchable," the rap mogul added.

What do you all think?

1 comment:

  1. For 30 years, most people and especially middle class families have experienced an economic lifestyle decline. We really have to get out of this rut of holding on to old music and old musicians and stake out some new territory. Too bad more artists were not included in the new "Helping Haiti Everybody Hurts" single, produced by Simon Cowell.

    ReplyDelete