Thursday, October 7, 2010
Get Ready For The 5th Annual NY Comic Con!
Prepare your Zelda swords for battle, brush up on Klingon slang and braid your best Princess Leia buns — geekdom is officially taking over this weekend.
NYC's Comic Con is gathering the biggest and baddest comic book and sci-fi aficionados for a three day action-packed expo, Friday through Sunday at the Jacob K. Javits Center (655 W. 34th Street).
"It's like a huge nerd prom," says event organizer Lance Fensterman of ReedPOP, who started the annual event five years ago. "Geeks here are all about passion, dedication and excitement."
The NYC convention, which, unlike its movie-heavy San Diego counterpart, focuses on comic books and TV shows, has grown 50% this year. This weekend, expect more details from Steven Spielberg's upcoming TNT alien invasion series, "Falling Skies," among other juicy tidbits.
For a full list of guests and events log onto NewYorkComicCon.com.
- How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse (2:15-3:15 PM, Room 1A23) No need to fret when zombies attack after this informative seminar! Learn how to defend yourself from the undead with tips from the experts. "When the world abandons you, you'll be ready," they guarantee.
- DC Talent Search (2:15-3:15 PM, Room 1E02) Have what it takes to be the next Stan Lee? Join DC's editorial art director, Mark Chiarello as he explains what he's looking for in the next great comic book artist. Some guests will have their work reviewed.
- Adult Swim: Children's Hospital (4:30-5:30 PM, Room 1A06) Join the show's creative team Rob Corddry and Jon Stern, along with actors Rob Huebel, Nick Kroll, Lake Bell, and Erinn Hayes as they dish on the show about a group of doctors who struggle with their very healthy libidos.
- Robot Chicken (6:45-7:45 PM, IGN Theater) Meet Adult Swim's Robot Chicken creators Seth Green and Matt Senreich as they discuss the original series and give a sneak peek from the show's next season.
- The Onion News Network presents "Future: News From the Year 2137" (7:15-8:15 PM, Room 1A23) Only The Onion can project the news 127 years ahead with their state-of-the-art satellites.
- Meet and Greet with Stan Lee (2-2:30 PM, Marvel Booth #1843) As soon as the doors open Saturday, head on over to the Marvel Booth to receive a ticket that will allow you to meet the legendary Lee. You may be among the lucky few drawn at random.
- Young Justice Video Presentation and Q&A (3:45-4:45 PM, Room 1A14) Fans were given a first glimpse of the young ensemble of the upcoming Cartoon Network series in San Diego but now, more questions will be answered from producers Brand Vietti.
- Yoshiki and Stan Lee (6:30-7:30, Room 1A08) Missed Stan Lee at his meet and greet earlier in the day? No problem! He and Yoshiki will be representing pop culture from East and West.
- V Special Video Presentation and Cast/Producer Q&A (5:15-6:15 PM, IGN Theater) Meet the cast and crew of ABC's "V," now in its second season.
- Nikita Video Presentation and Q&A (10:30-11:30 AM, IGN Theater) Her looks do kill! "Nikita" stars Maggie Q and Shane West together with executive producer Craig Silverstein answer questions and present a special reel.
- The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (12:00-1:00 PM, Room 1A22) Join Lucasfilm executive editor J.W. Rinzler, author of The Making of Star Wars, as he discusses his latest books.
- MTV Present ‘Unbreakable: Ten Years Later' with M. Night Shyamalan (12:45-1:45 PM, IGN Theater) The director joins MTV News' Josh Horowitz to celebrate the 10th anniversary of comic book-to-film flick "Unbreakable."
- The Walking Dead on AMC (2:15-3:45 PM, IGN Theater) AMC will premiere the first few scenes from its highly anticipated series, "The Walking Dead," based on the comic book by Robert Kirkman. Cast and crew members will also be present.
- Kids Day: Kids' Costume Contest (3:30-4:00 PM, Variant Stage) Which tiny tike will take home the best costume award? See baby Luke Skywalkers battle it out with young Captain Americas.