Thursday, April 23, 2009

Taking Hair Color Into Their Own Hands

Just one more indicator that the current recession is hitting home in a big way many are taking hair color into their own hands.  "Not every woman is ready to slip on a pair of latex gloves and take hair coloring into her own hands. But like Spam and instant potatoes, home hair color appears to be that rare product that is getting a lift from the recession."


James Martin/Getty Images

Asked how the economy had changed their spending habits, 15 percent of 1,000 American women who have their hair colored professionally said they now color it at home, according to a recent survey by Mintel, a market research firm. Another company, Information Resources, said dollar sales of a popular Clairol product, Root Touch-up, shot up 20 percent over the last year.

An indication of home color’s rising profile can be seen in the latest products, which are created by name-brand salon owners, a new twist in an industry long dominated by mass market manufacturers like Clairol and L’Oréal.

Do you find yourself cutting back in such a manner during this recession? Want to know more?  Read the full NYTimes article by Terry Trucco at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/fashion/23skin.html  and let me know what you think.  

2 comments:

  1. Let me tell you I already do my own dye job myself. And I must say I got the skills to pay the bills too. Did mine so well that now I do several of my friends and make $ that they would have been spending at a hair salon otherwise. Granted I'm not racking in what the Salon would but friends got to help out friends during these times you know what I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that I do the same myself. I had to cut back these past few months and now that I've done my own styling I may not go back for particular things in the future.

    ReplyDelete